Editor’s Note: Twitter is an amazing tool for both information consumers and creators. Ms. Schlapia outlines a solid strategy for making the most of this social network and where to focus your energy. In our view, central to success in using Twitter is understanding how to filter the “fire hose” – what is called the “tweet stream”. It’s clear there is too much to see – so knowing how to leverage search is most critical in our view. Don’t overlook advanced search that also allows you to look at Twitter’s sphere geographically to your region.
Creating a social media presence can be one of the best marketing moves you make for your firm. According to a study by LinkedIn and Cogent Research, 5 million investors use social media to research their financial decisions. Social media is the hot button in the playing field; providing your firm with brand awareness, established credibility, increased traffic to your website, and new channels to fill your prospect and referral pipelines. Twitter has a greater reach than traditional marketing methods and offers businesses a cost-effective alternative to engage with target markets; and a means to providing solutions and valuable content to your online community of followers.
The study by LinkedIn and Cogent Research reveals more than 90% of high-net-worth investors participate in social media. Old marketing methods need to be tossed out and replaced with a comprehensive social media marketing strategy to position your firm as a leader in the industry.
- USE TWITTER SEARCH: Utilize Twitter’s search feature to find prospects in your target market. Your prospect pipeline will fill quickly.
- CREATE A TWITTER LIST: Create a private Twitter list and include your prospective clients. Monitor their tweets to gain insight to their passions and needs; allowing you the opportunity to provide solutions.
- PROMOTE EVENTS: Webinars and workshops are a great way to position yourself as an industry thought leader and make new connections.
- RETWEET, FAVORITE, AND REPLY: Engage in conversations with your prospects. Remember, a relationship will build over time. Interact with others just as you would in person.
- SHARE RELEVANT CONTENT: Share quality, beneficial, and relevant industry content with your online community. This will help position you as an influential leader.